Monday, October 7, 2013

#Project21 -- Experiences

I was quite creep-ed out when I touched down at Zurich.
From what I know, Zurich airport is one of the best.
When I touched down at Zurich airport, I was quite shocked to see chairs and some things placed randomly, and the toilet was quite old. Then I thought to myself, "Why is this place one of the best airport??"
Hmmmm...
So I continued to walk, hoping to find the answer to my question.
On the way to collect my baggage/head to transit E, you have to take the train to another part of the terminal.
So I waited for like maybe 1 min, then the train came.
Okay, this is the creepiest part.
Alone for the first time in another country, I didn't know what to expect. So I boarded the mini train (somewhat like Changi Airport Train), the door closed and the train start to move. Halfway through the ride, there were cows moo-ing in the background, women singing (think the Ricola Commercial but in a dark tunnel). I looked to my side, there was moving images of a person throwing the Swiss flag in the air. These were all meant as entertainment for the boring train ride. But it was really creepy. 6am.
Anyway, though I did a lot of research, I was rather disappointed to know that there was no Marche. And I was stuck at the airport for a few hours with nothing I like to eat and no where to go. Couldn't connect to internet as well. There was no msg sent to my SG number. (You have to register with the sms sent to your mobile).
So I ate bought a small packet of potato chips for S$3+, and bought a 500mls of Evian water for S$5+. It was freaking EXPENSIVE!!! @.@
Lesson learnt: I will always bring my own food when I go to Europe!!
Anyway, when I reached the 'main terminal', the toilets were much better, and it looks pretty nice and new.
After that, the plane came and I headed to London.
Here comes the London part.
Touched down at Heathrow T1 around 11am, the place was filled with people. I waited for approx 30 mins to be asked a lot of qns. Why you come to London? Your return itinerary pls? What are you doing in London? Where are you returning to? C'mon, the card wrote the things right? I'm not some criminal! The only place I got asked a lot of qns.
After the customs, it's baggage claim.
After you've claimed your baggage, head down the escalator, and there will be people wearing the purple Heathrow vest selling Heathrow Express tickets in front of you as you come down from the escalator.
It's 34 pounds for a return ticket. It comes in a receipt and you have to keep it with you throughout if you bought a return ticket.
After you have purchased the ticket, take the lift and head to platform 2.
15 mins later you will reach Paddington Station.
Ticket officers will check your ticket around 5 mins after the train start to move. If you buy your ticket on board, it will cost more. So, either buy your ticket online or at the airport itself.
To get your Oyster card (somewhat like Octopus HK, Easycard TW, Ezlink SG), head to the tube station.
The card costs 5 pounds, and I topped up 45 pounds for 8 days in London, traveling in Zone 1 only. Be prepared to walk from one line to another line. (Eg: Bakerloo to Circle Line).
Also, sometimes it's easier to walk then to take the Tube. (Eg: Oxford Street-Piccadilly Circus).
S$100 for 8 days travel in London. It's my 1 month travel cost in SG.
The card is refundable, but I think you have to write in and wait for them to refund you the money. I love London so I can see myself going back there. Haha. So I didn't return my card.
For SIM Card, there's Vodafone at Paddington Station. However, the microSIM was sold out. So I went to Orange at Paddington Station also. It was quite troublesome for me. I inserted the card, received a few msgs from them to say my card is activated and I can use it. I could call and msg. But the internet connection was so troublesome! I had to add some APN. I went to google it and followed the steps then after I've added the APN or VPN I could use the data. It was 10 pounds for one month of unlimited calls and msgs, with 1GB of data.
--> I will do a separate post of shopping in London, interesting things to do, and VAT (Tax Free Shopping).
So, after 8 days in London, it was time to go back to SG!
I was so pissed off! The staff at LHR T1 gave me an earlier flight because I checked in 2.30hrs before my initial flight. The info on the ticket was different from the one on the screen. Thinking I was late for my flight, I brisk walked for 10 mins with 5-10kg of baggage in both my arms and trying to protect my macarons before I reach my departure gate. So, can you imagine how far it was?!!? When I reached the boarding gate, the screen showed "Take a Seat."
Tsk. Perspiring from rushing and an empty stomach, just to see that sentence. So disappointed.
After 15 minutes, we boarded the flight.
Touched down at Zurich Airport, went through the same motion, with the only exception that there wasn't much tourists around. Ate a bowl of tomato spaghetti. S$25. I will go bankrupt if I was in Switzerland for 1 month. :X
Anyway, I will also do a separate post on Swiss Airline service.
Ciao! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment