Saturday, July 31, 2010

Utmost Importance.

Yesterday i talked to one of my patients. She is a good speaker. & she has taught me a few things. She educated me about her condition.
Also, she told me something that has really struck me. To her, everyone needs attention. Therefore, when a patient keeps on pressing the call bell, the hidden msg is that they need attention. Thus, as nurses, what we can do is to show them attention. As humans, we will definitely find it annoying and that we don't have enough time to ans the call bell. If the patient don't need attention, do you think the patient will press the call bell?
Sometimes the patient press the call bell to ask us to help with very trivial things. To us, we might think that it is lame that they have to call us just to throw away something. But to them, it may mean a lot a lot, according to my patient. She also said that being in the helping line, our pockets will never be filled with money. BUT OUR HEARTS WILL BE FILLED FOREVER. Unlike in the other lines, you can earn a lot selling products. Your pockets will be filled...but will your hearts be filled?
She said that many a times, people tend to look on the surface. But seriously, as nurses, we can't just look at the surface. We have to look in depth.
To the public, nurses clean shit clean shit clean shit. but in actual fact, not all the nurses clean shit. & we don't clean shit 24 /7. Why are parents telling their children not to become nurses but doctors can? Why are their parents so ignorant? doctors help people. then nurses? kill people is it?!?!
Nurses can be considered the one of the few important people. They do almost everything. Nurses educate people, counsel people, have to understand how people feel & why they react in this way (the relatives and the patients, according to my pt.), take care of people, & we do many many other things. But the pay is...but our hearts get filled. With Love.

The last thing she said to me was that i've questioned myself about quitting nursing. but she told me that i can do it cos she has seen the way i treat my patients. i guess...i'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment